Back to menu
FROM THE SECOND WORLD WAR UNTIL THE PRESENT DAY
After the Second World War the series "Scavi di Ostia" was published, beginning in 1953. Excavations continued on a small scale, by Pietro Romanelli, Italo Gismondi, A.L. Pietrogrande, and others. In 1960 a monumental, historical study about Ostia was published: "Roman Ostia", by Russell Meiggs (second edition 1973). In 1985 Insula V,II was published in an exemplary way by the Dutch archaeologist Hans Boersma, supported by Thea Heres and others. In the 1980's many buildings in region V were restored with yellow bricks and tufa blocks, but a yellow much different from the antique colours. Recently geophysical research by the German Archaeological Institute and the American Academy in Rome (Michael Heinzelmann and Archer Martin) provided a wealth of information about the unexcavated area, and led to several important discoveries, such as that of Constantine's Basilica, and of a small harbour in the north-west part of the city.
Pope John Paul II paying a visit to the ruins of Ostia Antica (22 April, 1980). From De Nisi 1982, fig. on p. 111.