Many archaeological remains were found on the right (northern) side of the Tiber. They are on the inside of what was once a sharp bend of the river, to the north-east of the city centre, and to the north-west of the mediaeval village. This bend was cut off by a flood in 1557, after which it was gradually filled up with earth, becoming a swamp at first. It is now known as the Fiume Morto (Dead River).
A number of cippi demarcating the Tiber was found in 1921, 1953 and 1957. They can be dated to 23-41 AD. They are all facing the south-east, and have almost the same text:
C. ANTISTIVS C.F. VETVS
C. VALERIVS FLACCVS TANVRIAN
P. VERGILIVS M.F. PONTIANVS
P. CATIENVS P.F. SABINVS
C. VERGILIVS TI.F. RVFVS
CVRATORES RIPARVM ET ALVEI
TIBERIS EX S.C. TERMINAVERVNT
and on the back:
PVBLICO AVT PRIVATORVM
During the excavations of 1957 the remains were found of three horrea, with rooms arranged around courtyards. They could be dated to the second half of the first century AD and to the second century.
Plan of the horrea, with the location of the cippi.
From Bertacchi 1960, fig. 6 (partial).
In 1992-3 rooms belonging to baths were found. In a frigidarium with two basins a black-and-white mosaic was uncovered. Around the edges is a city wall with four gates, and with round towers on the corners. In the centre are a Nereid riding a triton, sea monsters and dolphins. It was probably made by the same workshop that was active in the Terme di Buticosus and Terme di Nettuno, in the first half of the second century AD. Underneath another black-and-white mosaic was found, from the first half of the first century AD. Rows of towers surround geometrical motifs.
Plan of the Trastevere area. A - baths; B - horrea;
C - huge circular structure seen on aerial photographs (Mausoleum of Claudius?);
D - walls seen on aerial photographs; E - large masonry structure.
From Pellegrino-Olivanti-Panariti 1995, fig. 1.
Drawing of the second-century mosaic from the baths.
From Pellegrino-Olivanti-Panariti 1995, fig. 2.
Drawing of the first-century mosaic from the baths.
From Pellegrino-Olivanti-Panariti 1995, fig. 3.
In the 1990's the remains were found of a large fullery, that has not yet been published.
On the other side of the river (and therefore not belonging on this page, but hard to place elsewhere) remains of horrea were found. They are to the north of the borgo of mediaeval Ostia, in the area demarcated by the modern Via del Castello, Via Morcelli and Via delle Saline. The horrea were next to (to the east) of the Tiber bank. A landing-stage (mole) was nearby. The oldest remains have been dated to the first half of the first century AD. There were various modifications, until the Severan period. From about 250 AD the horrea were no longer used. On top are remains of some structure from the sixth century and late-antique burials. In the early 16th century a store-building for salt, the so-called Casalone del Sale (not to be confused with the Casone del Sale, the current museum), was built on top of that.
The Casalone, seen from the west.
The road to the south of the Casalone, seen from the east. Note the slope of the road.
The lower level is the former bed of the Tiber. Photograph: Jan Theo Bakker.