To text menu

Portus - 52 Porticus of Claudius

This building is situated to the south-east of the basin of Claudius. It was named after a double row of travertine columns with a rough surface, the famous "opus rusticum" that is characteristic for several Claudian buildings. There is also a Trajanic phase. In the Severan period the porticus was incorporated in horrea consisting of cellae that are back-to-back (opus latericium). The porticus was excavated in 1933.



Plan of the Porticus of Claudius. Testaguzza 1970, p. 211.



The Porticus of Claudius seen from the west.
Photograph: Jan Theo Bakker.




A sloping ramp for easy transport of goods to the upper floor of the horrea.
Photograph: Jan Theo Bakker.

[jthb - 7-May-2009]